Friday, January 4, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

     Just like Santa-the holidays are now my "Busy Season". Having been on the road all over Western New York performing "Charles Dickens Presents: A Christmas Carol" from Salamanca to Warsaw- and lots of stops in between-here are a few notes about some of the places and people I encountered this year.
     
     Alexander Craig-my fifth grade teacher at Philip Sheridan bought me a drink after my show at the Ismailia Shrine Center. I remember that he was a fantastic teacher-and I'm so glad we have stayed in touch over the years. I will never forget the day JFK was shot-Mr. Craig getting the call in the classroom and then having to share the news with the class.

     It was a special treat to do the show at Niagara University Theatre-great venue-top notch staff and my friend John Smeathers (a real actor from the U.K. who plays Scrooge in the annual Alleyway production) came to see the show! I think he liked it! John's been doing the Alley Production for 15 years-this year he retired-so they will be looking for a NEW Scrooge for next year!  John will be a tough act to follow!


     Mr. Dickens visited Theatre 101 a sweet little spot in Mount Morris-right near one of my many alma maters-(SUNY Geneso) and made a return engagement to Roycroft Pavilion in East Aurora.  My first visit there was more than 40 years ago when I went to see my High School chorus teacher Ron Swick perform in "Death Of A Salesman".  BTW-Ron is a top notch actor having appeared in HUNDREDS of local productions and he still does shows with Mary Kate O'Connell & Company!

     Springville Center For The Arts invited me back for the fifth year in a row-we had a sell out crowd.  It's incredible what they have done with that building that was once an abandoned church and has been transformed into a thriving community arts center.  The transformation will continue now that they have secured some very large grants-congratulations SCA!!

Just like Santa-Charles Dickens will take a rest until next year...but tell your friends he's taking bookings NOW for 2013!!